Yeast nutrient in a starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bwirthlin

Reaction score
Im doing my first starter today, i want to get it going this afternoon so I can use it sunday. On the nutrient bottle it says 1 teaspoon per gallon, I'll be doing a 2L starter then a 1L step up. So would a 1/2tsp of nutrient in the 2L and a 1/4tsp in the 1L be about the right amount? And do I boil it the entire time with the DME or add it at the end of the boil? Thanks a lot

I add nutrient to the starter as it's getting towards the boil. Actually adding it at any time before the boil works fine.

Have you consulted with either Mr. Malty or yeastcalc.com to see if you're making the right sized starter? Remember, production date is important for these things. IMO, better to push off a brew day if your starter won't be ready/done than to try and push it too fast.

If you have a stirplate to use, the starter could be done in under 24 hours. Then you'll have time to chill in the fridge (cold crash) so you can decant almost all the spent starter wort and pitch a concentrated slurry. That's my normal MO for such things.

Golddiggie said:
I add nutrient to the starter as it's getting towards the boil. Actually adding it at any time before the boil works fine.

Have you consulted with either Mr. Malty or yeastcalc.com to see if you're making the right sized starter? Remember, production date is important for these things. IMO, better to push off a brew day if your starter won't be ready/done than to try and push it too fast.

If you have a stirplate to use, the starter could be done in under 24 hours. Then you'll have time to chill in the fridge (cold crash) so you can decant almost all the spent starter wort and pitch a concentrated slurry. That's my normal MO for such things.

I got the info for the size of the starter from yeastcalc. I'm brewing Sunday afternoon so I feel confident I'll have enough time to get my starter to where it needs to be. I'll be using a stir plate too. Is 1/2tsp for a 2L and 1/4tsp for a 1L yeast nutrient a sufficient amount?

I got the info for the size of the starter from yeastcalc. I'm brewing Sunday afternoon so I feel confident I'll have enough time to get my starter to where it needs to be. I'll be using a stir plate too. Is 1/2tsp for a 2L and 1/4tsp for a 1L yeast nutrient a sufficient amount?

Depends on the nutrient you're using. I typically use 1/4 tsp of the Wyeast nutrient in my starters (up to 3L in size). If the yeast is older, I sometimes use more. Try an amount this time and adjust it for next.

Golddiggie said:
Depends on the nutrient you're using. I typically use 1/4 tsp of the Wyeast nutrient in my starters (up to 3L in size). If the yeast is older, I sometimes use more. Try an amount this time and adjust it for next.

Will do, that's a lot for the help.

For what it is worth, The instructions that I got from Austin Homebrew say to use 1/8 tsp for a 1L starter during the boil.

I did a 1/2 tsp for a 2L starter and it seemed to work out great. This was my first starter so I don't have any past experience. I cold crashed it and decanted it, let it warm up and pitched it and it started ripping in to my 1.080 oatmeal stout in about 3 hours and is currently bubbling away. I'm officially making starters every time now!

I did a 1/2 tsp for a 2L starter and it seemed to work out great. This was my first starter so I don't have any past experience. I cold crashed it and decanted it, let it warm up and pitched it and it started ripping in to my 1.080 oatmeal stout in about 3 hours and is currently bubbling away. I'm officially making starters every time now!

Yeah, doesn't take much convincing after using one (or two) starters. :D I'm usually pitching the slurry fairly late, so it's 8-12 hours until I check on it. Pretty much every time it's going full bore by then, or at least getting cranking... I also use pure O2 to oxygenate my wort, so the yeast have less stress even in high OG batches. :D

BTW, I highly recommend getting the Yeast book if you don't already have it. :D I bought it when it was first released (as soon as I heard about it). IMO, money well spent. Now that you can get it for less, it's an even better deal.

Last edited by a moderator:
I use the same amount recommended for a five gallon batch because I would think if goes by the amount of yeast and not the amount of wort. I also add it to the batch of beef as well. I boils be wrong but I don't see how you could use too much.

I use the same amount recommended for a five gallon batch because I would think if goes by the amount of yeast and not the amount of wort. I also add it to the batch of beef as well. I boils be wrong but I don't see how you could use too much.

Whaaaaa?? "batch of beef"?

So I just pulled a bone head mistake. Dumping the yeast in my 2000ml flask and the vial slipped out of my hand and fell in the wort. I unfortunately forgot to spray any sanitizer on the vial before It fell in. My hands were covered in sanitizer though so hopefully it's not going to be ruined. My gut tells me to RDWHAHB but my brain says YOU'RE F**KED DUMMY! I quickly rinsed out and sanitized the pot I boiled the starter wort in dumped the entire contents vial and all from my flask, cleaned and sanitized it and dumped everything back in the flask. It's spinning away on the stir plate right now. Worst case I'll just make a new one. This was really old yeast and only 10% viable according to yeastcalc but I figured I'd see if I could bring it back to life.

Latest posts

Back