Yeast in Space

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Too bad they couldn't recover the yeast capsule. It would've been interesting to see if there were any mutated cells. Otherwise, I don't think such a short ride would do much.

That's awesome! Still, what I really wonder about is how you would brew in space. Without gravity you have no head space. The bubbles don't "rise" because there's no up. How do you build a fermenter that allows CO2 out without also squeezing out your fermenting beer? Would your beer be more carbonated because the gasses would just settle in the beer rather than rising to the top? So many questions. Come on science! Get on it!

I'm picturing some sort of fermenting bag that's gas porous but not liquid permeable. In fact, that sounds like a good invention for earth brewing too. Eliminate the risk of O2 or germs getting in.

That's awesome! Still, what I really wonder about is how you would brew in space. Without gravity you have no head space. The bubbles don't "rise" because there's no up. How do you build a fermenter that allows CO2 out without also squeezing out your fermenting beer? Would your beer be more carbonated because the gasses would just settle in the beer rather than rising to the top? So many questions. Come on science! Get on it!

I'm picturing some sort of fermenting bag that's gas porous but not liquid permeable. In fact, that sounds like a good invention for earth brewing too. Eliminate the risk of O2 or germs getting in.

Centrifugal force would create artificial gravity. You could simply build a spinning wheel shaped fermentor; as long as it spun fast enough, the wort would stay on the inner side of the outer wall, allowing the CO2 to ride above the liquid surface, just like it does here on Earth.

I got to admit though, I like your idea of gas permeable bags; think Tyvek or Goretex would work?
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back