Yeast Help for DIPA Clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kurds_2408

Reaction score
I know this is the second clone question I've started recently but putting the previous experiment on the back burner while I focus on one I've worked on longer care more about.

I've been working on a clone for Epic Day DIPA from Eddyline brewery for about 6 month now. I think I've just about nailed it. Tasted mine side by side with the real thing last night and getting close. Other than needing to bump up my Carapils the only thing I think is wrong is yeast. The original as hint of banana flavor and a scent of banana that grows in strength as it warms up. My beer has just a slight hint of orange/citrus, both taste and smell, but no banana. My orange isn't strong and I got info from the head brewer so I know I'm using the correct hops. Hoping a yeast change will be all I need to get the banana as the stronger flavor. I am using us-05 and fermented at 68 degrees and bumping up after 5 days. I know 05 can release some esters at higher temps, have not tried it though, and from what I've read I don't know that it is right. So hoping one of you more experienced recipes builders could help me pick a new yeast that would give that flavor? Or tell me if I'm completely wrong and need to change something else?

I can post the recipe if needed but was hoping to save it to post in the recipe database once I get it nailed.

I haven’t had that Eddyline DIPA so I can’t comment if I’d be searching for the same yeast character. Typically a banana character from isoamyl acetate would be considered a fault from that yeast and that beer style. The breweries description of the beer also doesn’t indicate that profile. Is it actually esters you’re going after or a roundness? If you’re truly going after that flavor you could try stressing the yeast more by under-pitching. US-05 and other Chico strains are super clean so I’m not sure you’d get “banana” even from high temps.

I haven’t had that Eddyline DIPA so I can’t comment if I’d be searching for the same yeast character. Typically a banana character from isoamyl acetate would be considered a fault from that yeast and that beer style. The breweries description of the beer also doesn’t indicate that profile. Is it actually esters you’re going after or a roundness? If you’re truly going after that flavor you could try stressing the yeast more by under-pitching. US-05 and other Chico strains are super clean so I’m not sure you’d get “banana” even from high temps.
Well this is interesting. I will admit my palate is novice and my knowledge of what taste/senstion/mouthfeel equates to what ingredients is not great. And the vocab for all these things is something I'm still learning. Just read a whole article on "roundness" as I didn't know exactly what that meant. After reading I definitely think that could be part of it. The real thing is thicker and creamier. I was going to up my Carapils to help with that but seems maybe a higher mash temp could give more roundness and help out. I've been doing 150 but next gonna try 153-154.

The only thing is while the banana taste I got was so weak I could have just been mistaking the smell for taste, the smell is definitely there. But could that be my novice nose mistaking sweetness and roundness?

Last edited:
Don't think I've ever read of US-05 going bananas. In fact aside from the not complimentary peach-ish esters from running it too cold I don't get much of anything out of US-05 - which is fine, I don't use it for character.

Maybe S-33?

Cheers!

Latest posts

Back