yeast guide?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

raf1919

Reaction score
so i want to get my dad mr beer kit. i noticed that all the mr beer kits use the same yeast? how is that possible i was under assumption that different beers use different yeast. so if wanted didn't want to use that yeast how would i know what is the proper one to use... is there a guide or way of knowing?

i brewed few batches myself in 5gal version but i relied on kit to use proper yeast i would never know which one to use.

Most yeasts are regional and apply to several styles (think irish stout vs. belgian stout). Mr. Beer probably uses a hearty middle-of-the-road yeast that is probably suitable to most American craft palates. The important thing is that the yeast is healthy.

The yeast strain you use is one of several factors that influences the flavors of the beer. For some styles (such as Hefeweisen or Belgian ales), it's important to use the right yeast strains to get the right flavor. For others, it's less important, though still a factor. For instance, many american styles of beer rely on a pretty neutral yeast, and so the strain isn't a huge factor so long as it's a fairly neutral one. Same with most lagers - any lager strain will get you pretty close.

There are a few companies that make homebrewing yeast strains. Safale is a popular dry yeast company; they make about a half-dozen strains, all of them fairly neutral. For more specialty strains or options, you need to go to the liquid yeast companies Wyeast and White labs. They both have dozens of strains.

For a strain guide, you could try this for starters: Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Yeast Style Guide

Or this: http://www.whitelabs.com/beer/Styles-Ale.pdf

Whether or not I would recommend getting another type of yeast for a Mr. Beer kit depends on what style of beer the kit is for. I think many of them are probably just fine with the yeast that comes with it; just make sure the kit isn't too old. You want your extract fresh and your yeast healthy.

so i want to get my dad mr beer kit. i noticed that all the mr beer kits use the same yeast?

The same yeast can be used for many different beers. Especially when most of the flavor comes from malt or hops such as really dark or really hoppy beers. Yeast character is of little importance so a "clean" yeast is used. I am assuming this yeast in this kit is a "clean" yeast.

i was under assumption that different beers use different yeast. ... is there a guide or way of knowing?

Yes, different yeast strains can dramatically affect flavor especially in lighter beers. This is a good starting point. Wyeast Laboratories : Home Enthusiasts : Brewers : Yeast Strain Guide

Figure out what style of beer you want to brew, then see what strains they recommend for that style. Then the experimenting begins...

good info.. didn't realize that yeast can be just clean yeast. i will use the guide i plan on getting him the wheat so i will try to pair that w/ right yeast.

thanks for info.

Back