Yeast gravity change

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Keith Hartley

Reaction score
Hi all
Made a starter from a frozen yeast. I am unsure of its health as I forgot to shake the vials to mix up the yeast & glycerine before submerging in alcohol & freezing
It's been on stirplate for 36 hrs. No sign of fermentation, colour change, thickness, krausen ect. I checked gravity & there is only a 7 point change from OG of wert to FG of starter. Cold crashed in fridge but not sure if it is any good.

Your starter might have had a slow start and the fermentation may not have been completed. Add a step up wort to propagate more cells just to make sure you have enough yeast cells for pitching.

Odds are only a small portion on the yeast got preserved. If the gravity is changing then you have propagation go on, just at a small scale.
Think of it like you are starting from a slant. (very small sample) It will come around but it will take awhile for the yeast to get the cell count up. I would guess another 5 days +.

Thanks for the replies.
Poured spent beer off this morning, still tasted like sweet wort. Not a solid yeast cake at the bottom either. Think may have ruptured the yeast cell while freezing becaused didn't mix the tubes properly.
Added another L of wort & placed back on stirplate, hope for the best. Have another 20 vials of this yeast in the freezer.

Latest posts

Back