Yeast for warmer temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

new2brew1221

Reaction score
I would like to make a caramel cider this year using store bought apple juice and frozen concentrate and my own homemade caramel sauce. My question is, what is a good yeast I can use that will perform at average room temp of 75°? I was thinking of using S04, but don't know if it will ferment with temperature that warm. Looking for feedback and options. Thanks

Wine yeasts work well at higher temperatures. I don't make a lot of cider, so I don't know if these yeasts work well but any saison yeast will work. I noticed you mentioned a dry yeast, so maybe try Belle Saison. The best cider I ever made was with wlp644. That's a liquid yeast but it works incredibly well at higher temps.

As mentioned above a Saison yeast will be quite happy at that temp, and if you can find dried Hibiscus flowers, you can make an amazing Hybiscus-Saison if you enjoy that style of cider.

EDIT: I have used fresh apples quite a few times before and I have never used any chemicals other than pectinase before pitching yeast. Granted I rinse everything including the apples in Iodophor first, but that is it.

I haven't used it in cider, but T-58 is cheap and works great at high temps for beer.

I usually use Cotes des Blancs for cider and just ignore the temperature. I have a cider going right now with Vintner's Harvest AW4, fermenting around 70 degrees.

Back