yeast for small batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jrc64

Reaction score
Did a one gallon batch of a vanilla porter this weekend. All I did was divide the 5 gallon recipe by 5 for the grains and hops. As for the yeast, I simply converted the grams of the entire package (11.5G) to teaspoons and divided that by 5. It came out to .46 teaspoons of yeast for a 1 gallon batch. I added .50 teaspoon to be safe.

Fermentation was pretty active first 2 days, then the bubbling stopped. I know the bubbling does not mean much, but just want to make sure I was on the right track in determing the amount of yeast to use.

IMHO, the subject of yeast pitching rates is overthought to a great degree. While it is true that you can underpitch (leading to slow starts and stressed yeast), it is very difficult to over-pitch. If it were my 1-gallon batch, I'd probably split the packet across two batches. Mainly because, I wouldn't want open yeast packs to sit around waiting. In other words, that extra 0.04 tsp won't make a bit of difference.

Cheers,

Back