Yeast for HG Brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Irish13

Reaction score
So I'm going to do my first High Gravity (Imperial IPA) w/ OG of 1.072 and FG of 1.017.

I have read a lot about making sure to get enough oxygen so yeast has the maximum amount of the malt sugars to ferment. The recipe show to use WLP001 California Ale yeast.

Would anyone recommend to use/add yeast nutrients or have more info in general about yeast for HG brewing?

Many Thanks

I would just use yeast cake with WLP001/WY1056/US-05. It shouldn't have any troubles with 1.072 OG.
No yeast nutrients are needed in brewing beer, the wort is your nutrient. They are actually made for wine making.

My first answer would be to check out mrmalty.com and look at the yeast pitching calculator. It will tell you how much you need and you can choose from dry, liquid and slurry ("cake") yeasts. It's made a huge difference in the quality of my beers.

I must admit that I haven't moved on to oxygenating my wort yet. Finishing my kegging set up and learning that one. But I made a 1.093 RIS recently w/o adding pure oxygen and so far, so good. Hit a few points below my target FG and the hydrometer samples taste AMAZING. So while oxygen is key, in my understanding it's more along the lines of polishing your beer quality up to competition standard, whereas yeast and temp control will take you from "drinkable" to "great".

My $.02. YMMV.

So I'm going to do my first High Gravity (Imperial IPA) w/ OG of 1.072 and FG of 1.017.

I have read a lot about making sure to get enough oxygen so yeast has the maximum amount of the malt sugars to ferment. The recipe show to use WLP001 California Ale yeast.

Would anyone recommend to use/add yeast nutrients or have more info in general about yeast for HG brewing?

Many Thanks

first off, welcome to HBT! :mug:
second, 1.072 isn't all that high grav. almost any ale yeast will work. i do recommend MrMalty.com to make sure you pitch enough yeast, proper aeration to ensure heathy reproduction (just started using an aquarium pump and stone, highly recommend it) and cooler temps to make a clean beer. for IPA's i like either Wy1272 or Saf s-05, and i like to ferment around 62 or so to ferment it nice and clean.

Latest posts

Back