Yeast for English Mild and Irish Red

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Blueflint

Reaction score
My next two brews will be an Irish Red and an English Mild. I figured I could use the same yeast for these two. The ones I am looking at are:

WLP002/W1968 Fuller ESB strain

WLP005/W1187 Ringwood strain

WLP007/W1098 Whitbread

I already have W1968 and use it on porters. I could use it since it is on hand but it might not have the attenuation I need???

Any thoughts? Thanks!

I'd go for ESB or Whitbread. I've done both with 1968 and loved it, though I don't think it's perfectly to style for the Irish Red. Maybe pitch it really cold, like 60, and ferment pretty low, but then jack up the temp toward the end of fermentation to over 70.

You could even sub in 5% sugar for some base malt in the Irish Red to get a little more attenuation, though with a long low mash I've gotten 78% attenuation with 1968.

I was already leaning towards 1968 since I have it ...but I could pick up Wy1084/WL004 at my LHBS....specially for the Irish Red.

Well the question is "how to-style are you trying to brew the Irish Red?" Because if you just want a delicious amber beer, a little roasty, a tiny bit of caramel, then you can totally get that with 1968. You'll just be missing out on some subtle "je ne sais quois" that truly defines it as an Irish Red - maybe it's that subtle bit of diacetyl from that yeast, or other particular ester. Me, I says who cares unless you're trying to win a competition

US05 is a good all purpose ale yeast and I have used it from 58 to 75 degrees on a wide variety of brews with very good results.

Back