Yeast for Brown Porter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Buffman

Reaction score
I'm gearing up to brew a brown porter next week, but can't decide on a yeast. With all the issues around Notty, I'm going with liquid. The Wyeast website recommends:

1028 (London)
1056 (American)
1275 (Thames Valley)
1335 (British II).

I'm looking for an authentic english-style porter. I haven't used any of the english yeasts, so any feedback on them (or suggestions for alternatives) would be mucho appreciado.

I use 1028 for all of my Nut Browns and a few of my Porters. It's a good yeast, just make sure you have a starter.

For my brown ales, I usually use 1187 Ringwood Ale Yeast (Well, I use the White Labs equivalent, but you were listing wyeast). Ringwood is a bit picky about it's fermentation conditions though, another good option would be 1028 London Ale Yeast.

I'm pretty sure with the recall that Danstar has out for the bad notty you'll be hard pressed to find a shop with the recalled yeast on their shelves.

I made a batch with notty this weekend it was the usual blowoff that we all know and love.

The liquid yeasts are always a good option too though :)

Use 1028 for an authentic English brown porter. Just keep it cool, it can make real strong banana esters otherwise.

edit: unless you're really going for that authentic 1800s taste.

Back