Yeast for Bottling RIS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tagz

Reaction score
Any recommendations for yeast strains to add when bottling a RIS? Would champagne yeast stick to simple sugars? Or, would it ferment out some of the body? What strains do pro-brewers tend to use when bottling 10+ % beers?

A blend of 1728 And 1099. Although, last round they came out undercarbed, so I was looking to use a hearty bottle carbing yeast, but one that won't effect the malt profile. That's why I was leaning toward champagne/wine.

I have used CBC-1 on bottle conditioned beers with great success. It is dry, cheap, easy to use, and leaves a nice carbonation. It is specifically made for this purpose

A blend of 1728 And 1099. Although, last round they came out undercarbed, so I was looking to use a hearty bottle carbing yeast, but one that won't effect the malt profile. That's why I was leaning toward champagne/wine.

Personally I'd stay away from non-beer yeasts.
Exactly how high a % do you expect with this beer? 1728 can handle up to 12 or 13% and should carb this batch okay. You may need to give it a lot more time than a 5% beer.

Back