Yeast for Baltic Porter with High ABV?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aamcle

Reaction score
I am planing a high ABV Baltic Porter which is described as a lager, I'll brew it this year for Christmas next year. The grain should be delivered within a few days.

If I obtain over 70% mash efficiency I would expect to brew a beer with an ABV of over 12%.

So far I have not found a lager yeast that will tolerate over 10% ABV I have looked at Wyeast and White Labs but best candidate I have found so far is "Mangrove Jacks New World Strong Ale" yeast but obviously it's not a lager yeast.

One option that occurs to me would be to start the fermentation with a common lager yeast like 34/70 and after a few days add Mangrove Jacks yeast to finish it off.

What would you advise?

Regards Aamcle

Just FWIW, Baltic Porter isn't always fermented with lager yeast. A clean ale strain, fermented cold-ish is acceptable.

Also, you could certainly make a 12% Baltic Porter, but that's quite a bit higher than typical for the style.

I know it's high for style but

I want it for next year

I don't want to be left with some "spare " Pilsner malt.

:) :)

Last edited:
S-189 is the dry version of a Swiss yeast that is used to make what used to be billed as the world's strongest lager.

1728 can be used as an ale strain fermented cold. Its my go to ale yeast. Can handle cold temps and high abv.

I'm in this boat.

An altered AIH Zywiec (Polish, Baltic) Porter Extract Clone kit (target 9.5-10.8%) with an unintended 5.4% increase in LME weight plus a 1% alcohol boost bag of corn sugar ended up at 12.34%.

I used two 11.5g packets of S-189 and one can of Northern Brewer Fast Pitch after aerating wort (cooled to 63 F).

Was 63F at OG measurement point and 64 F 4.5 weeks later at FH measurement.

IR non-contact reading on side of carboy (if valid) during active fermentation was 66F (highest measurement I could get).

I'm glad I added the Fast Pitch as my first attempt using Brewers Friend calculators suggested the yeast alone might not have been enough.

Two weeks bottle conditioning ends this Sunday. I was going to try a week cold but not sure what for...clarity? It's almost a black hole.

I did not intend to leave it so long. was initially going to transfer to secondary for adjuncts like cacao nibs & espresso, but modern thinking helped me rationalize leaving it alone and getting around to it when I was able.

S-189 likes my cellar temperature, and if waiting 4.5 weeks was really the magic and not every paranoid step I added, that's easier.

I have only tasted the FG samples.

I realize there is more to a beer than meeting OG/FG.

I just hope conditioning makes it better and not reveals flaws.

First 5-gal attempt. I set one low bar goal-please let this be drinkable...too much time, equipment & money to have a failure (and remain motivated).

Oh, the only cold storage option for my bottles is the garage. It was mid-30's F a week or two ago, but outside temp this week has been 18-21 F.

I'm guessing longer conditioning at 64 F might be my only practical option....

I used 833 for an uber bock that is 10.8%, fermented at 52* for 5 days then to 58 for 2 weeks then in the bottles ,at 68* for 4 weeks then in the lager chamber at 40* ,and it is getting rave reviews. WLP says it can go to 13%. It was a repitch of a small 1.045 pilsner, so plenty of yeast and 5 min of O2 at 1/8 L / min. I ALWAYS make a small beer for repitching on 1.090 + because I can't see tossing 5 quarts down the drain, and I get a brew for playing the waiting game.

Back