Yeast for an Old Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DaveTF

Reaction score
I'm looking to brew an old ale for my next batch. Thinking about an Old Curmudgeon clone style. That one calls for an American ale yeast or it references WLP060. I'm thinking of trying WLP060 as I've never used it. Any experience using that in an old ale? Any others you think would be far better?

I've never used WLP060, to my knowledge that is what Curmudgeon was fermented with, but am curious to see how it would do on a homebrew level. Following for sure! Another option would be the Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend, I have heard that is a really good one too. Especially if you're into brett beers/sours/BW.

Are you referring to Lalbrew Nottingham yeast? I did some looking at that one I'm not sure how much to pitch. I'm doing a 3.5 gal batch with OG of 1.095. Not sure how much to pitch.

Last edited:
We did 15 gal and made a 5 L starter, it finished at 1. 024 and all 3 fermenters needed a blow off. If you can pull about a liter after 10 min of boiling , dilute with 1/2 liter of ice to chill and sprinkle 1 pack and pitch the whole thing at high K.

Another option would be the Wyeast 9097-PC Old Ale Blend, I have heard that is a really good one too. Especially if you're into brett beers/sours/BW.

9097 is a Q4 2021 Private release, so should be appearing in stores around now.

If brewing an American rendition of the style Chico/Cali is a safe bet. If trying to lean more towards an English rendition really any British brewing strain will be ok. Just pick the one that tastes best for you and run with it. An old ale is supposed to be a strong ale with age to it so there is no specific beer that defines the style. We've decided old ale means a lower ABV barleywine which more or less follows the same rule.

Back