Yeast for 10+ gallons of mexican style lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

namepending

Reaction score
Looking to brew 10+ gallons of a mexican style lager and im trying to figure out how to do the yeast. I have a 5l flask but that only seems big enough for a 5 gallon batch. Do you think Safale 34/70 would work? Ideally I'd like to do 15 gallons but this whole lager yeast thing is new and it's throwing me for a loop. Any suggestions?

For 10 gallons I usually use two flasks and two vials. 34/70 would work just fine its similarish to the modelo yeast, but if you can make a big enough starter, the modelo yeast is a great easy to work with strain.

With lagers i tend to plan on harvesting and doing multiple batches/generations with the yeast, as the starters are expensive and a pain.

You can do a 4-5 liter starter then store 3/4 of it and do another starter with the remainder. That should get you in the ballpark of how much you'll need for 10 gallons.

Back