Yeast Fermentation Temperatures?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ThatGeekGuy

Reaction score
What's the optimal temperature for fermenting an Ale yeast, Muntons in particular? And high and low points where bad things could occur?

Every yeast has different preferred ranges. Google the actual yeast (not just the brand) to find the range or ask at your brew store.

And yes, bad things can certainly happen when you go outside those ranges. The yeast can make all sorts of odd flavors if you put them under stress.

The Muntons website itself isn't much help, just saying "It has very hardy characteristics and will tolerate a wide variety of temperature variations during fermentation." I've dropped them a line, let's see if they know anything about their own products.

A Google search for "muntons ale yeast temperature range" gives "The recommend fermentation temperature range is 64-70°F. " I would recommend the low side.

I would recommend not using Muntons (or Coopers) yeasts moving forward. At least not for fermenting your beer. They can be of use towards the end of the boil, to provide food for the good beer yeast you'll use to ferment. That's what I did with the only packet of Muntons yeast I was ever given (I didn't pay a penny for it).

There are plenty of quality liquid, and dry, yeasts available to use. No need to use the crappy yeast.

Gold,
Thanks, I learned that after the fact. This is my first beer made in over thirty years, a partial grain kit. Back in the day, dry pack in the the kit was all we had. I'm keeping this between 60-65 degrees in the fermenter.

Hopefully things will work out OK, it started bubbling after about a day, then stopped bubbling about a day later. I'm not too concerned about that, I'll check FG in about a week and if it looks good I'll put the lid back on for a few more weeks and check again before kegging.

Back