Yeast dropped out overnight

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MSKBeerfan

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch (Stout) yesterday afternoon and used a package of Danstar Windsor Ale Yeast. I hydraded the yeast and did a starter at the beginning of the brew day and left it on the stir plate while brewing.

cooled the wort, oxygenated the wort and pitched my yeast starter which was very healthy.

Within 3 hours of pitching I have a Krausen on top and activity in the carboy.

I don't have temerature control as of yet so I moved it to a space in the basement that would keep it at about 62 degrees.

went to bed and awoke this mooring to all the yeast laying at the bottom of the Car boy. The Wort temp is up around 80 degrees which I know is way to high and hopeful that by putting in an ice bath and cooling it down may reactivate the yeast but I have been doing this for years and never had it drop that suddenly.

Anything further needed to get it going again?
I have not yet taken a SG reading to see what has converted thus far...

first take your reading. I won't be surprised if it's already done fermenting. if it's not done you can swirl the fermenter to suspend the yeast. also you can bring it back up to 80degs after the first 3 days without effecting taste. this will help with any off flavors

Checked the SG this morning and it's reading 1.032...
the post boil SG reading was 1.062 and I had anticipated a beer of 7% or higher.
I mashed at 152 for 60 minutes and the grain bill would had supported the 7% beer. Do I re-pitch another batch of yeast at this point?
I guess I will check again tomorrow and see if the SG moves but looking at this it's finished.

From what you described, it sounds like you pitched into wort that was much too warm, got vigorous activity and then cooled it down to the point where your yeast went to sleep and dropped out. I'd suggest warming it up to 70*F, giving it a gentle swirl and leaving it another week before getting another hydrometer reading.

FYI- Windsor is notorious for finishing quickly and often falling short of attenuation goals. It is not, however, finished at 1.032 (unless that's an uncorrected refractometer reading).

This is what I do for temp control. Very simple just rotate frozen water bottles. With the 1/2 submerged in water.

Back