Yeast dropped out immediately?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arnobg

Reaction score
I brewed a 1 gallon batch this afternoon and I have never done a 1 gallon batch.

After pitching 1/2 packet of US-05 (aerated before and after pitching) I took a look a few hours later to see if it started and I saw a layer of trub on the bottom and little to no yeast on top, just clean beer that looks like it usually does when fermentation is over. Did something go wrong or will the yeast start doing it's thing fro the bottom? I have also never used a carboy before either so I don't usually see what is going on in there to know if this is normal.

I am getting about 1 bubble every 30-60 seconds from my Airlock.

If your airlock is bubbling at this point, it means your yeast are in business.

I'd say what you saw along the bottom is likely some trub leftover from the wort that slipped in there, or other particles settling out... Or the yeast. I think US-05 is like WLP-001? I just did a batch of that and most of the yeast was in suspension or on the bottom.

Be patient!

Temperature of wort was about 67-68F and the yeast was room temperature.

I guess I am worrying because I have never used a clear fermentation container yet and don't know what is normal. To me this didn't seem normal that the top was so clean but it is new to me.

Temperature of wort was about 67-68F and the yeast was room temperature.

I guess I am worrying because I have never used a clear fermentation container yet and don't know what is normal. To me this didn't seem normal that the top was so clean but it is new to me.

You are just experiencing a short lag time to your fermentation kicking off. The stuff at the bottom of the fermentor is most likely hop debris and break material.

You are just experiencing a short lag time to your fermentation kicking off. The stuff at the bottom of the fermentor is most likely hop debris and break material.

That is good to know thanks. So does this mean the yeast will ferment from the bottom if no longer on top?

First, US-05 is a slow starter. But once it gets a head of steam it will churn a fermenter nicely.

Top, bottom...once it gets going your fermenter will look like a washing machine.

Welcome to fermenting in glass :D

Cheers! :mug:

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. Half a pack is still quite a lot of yeast for one gallon so even if a lot are sitting on the bottom I'm sure there're a lot floating about as well.

Thanks for the reassurance, the yeasties are on the move feasting this morning.

Guess all was normal I'm just not used to seeing what's going on behind the container!

Back