Yeast dropped in secondary, should I transfer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

spangltk

Reaction score
First mead I'm making. I step fed the yeast (Monchet) and hit 2/3 sugar completion within 9 days. I then transfered to secondary. It's been in there for 3 weeks and all of the yeast has settled to the bottom.

I plan on keeping it there for another 2 months before bottling. Should I worry about racking it off the yeast or will it be fine?

Once it's clear enough to read a newspaper through, you can rack it again and age as long as you want. I think 71-B is one of the only ones autolysis is really an issue with.

Marshmallowblue is right, be patient and let your mead age(not easy,I know). congrats on your first batch, it wont be your last. Welcome to the club!

Doesn't matter how clear it is. You shouldn't rack it off the sediment without a hydrometer reading to confirm dry first......

Doesn't matter how clear it is. You shouldn't rack it off the sediment without a hydrometer reading to confirm dry first......

This.

But he'd already moved it to a secondary at the time of the posting. And it shouldn't be moved again until its clear, and ready to bottle (after aging),

But again fatblokes right in that you shouldn't move it again until ferment is complete, first and fore-most. I had assumed (I know its bad) that the ferment was done and now you wanted it to be moved to container 3.

It was around 1.030 when I transfered to secondary. A bit later a pile of yeast dropped but the mead is still hazy. I haven't taken another measurement. I don't want to risk oxidation or anything.

I plan on giving it 2-3 months in secondary. Do I worry more about autolysis or risking oxidation preventing autolysis? From this thread I've decided to drop it off in my temp controlled storage unit and check back in 2 months.

Autolysis is only a real concern with 71-b (I think that's the one), and with the major amount of lees from primary. From what I understand, the bulk of autolysis comes from when the yeast cake gets so packed, it creates heat that kills and dries up the yeast in the center of the cake.

Back