yeast culturing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HughBrooks

Reaction score
Hey everybody. I am in the process of trying to figure out a clone for Bells Two Hearted ale, Yum right, anyway I am doin this with a friend and we decided to try to collect the yeast from bottles of the beer and culture it to use for our own batch. We basicall took the bottom of the bottle ,after pouring the rest in a glass to enjoy, swirled it around and tried to dump as much yeast as possible into out yeast starter (light DME and yeast nutrient). Would this be the best way to do it? If anyone has any advice please write. I would really like to pull this off this recipe.:mug:

Be sure to sterilize the cap and neck of the bottle before opening it. Vodka and/or flame work well. You don't want any uninvited guests in your starter.

Tom

When I've done this, it takes 1-2 days before I see signs of active fermentation. You're starting from very few cells in the bottom of a bottle and they likely have been asleep quite a while in the bottom of a comercial bottle, so it can take awhile.

Latest posts

Back