Yeast Concern

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CharlieB

Reaction score
I ordered an IPA kit from Austin Homebrew Supply and didn't think about UPS not delivering on the 4th. should the yeast be ok? i orderded an icepack along with it. but im not sure how they store their boxes.

If the yeast is warm, I would chunk it. Otherwise, make a starter, and see if it is viable. I am assuming that you ordered liquid yeast.

- magno

I think the yeast will be fine. I have bought from AHS and had the yeast sit in a truck in a hot town for the weekend. Don't throw it out. Do make a starter.

I have had my AHS yeast sit on my front porch in 90 degree weather for 2 days while i was out of town. When I got home I put it in the fridge for a week till i was ready to brew and had one of my best fermentations with that yeast.

Heat will not necessarily kill a pack/vial of yeast. When I got my last shipment, the ice pack was melted and the smackpack was warm. I smacked it, it swelled up, I made a starter, and it all went swimmingly. Don't believe the doomsayers! ;)

magno said:
If the yeast is warm, I would chunk it. Otherwise, make a starter, and see if it is viable. I am assuming that you ordered liquid yeast.

- magno

Why woud you toss the warm yeast without making a starter to see if it is still viable?

Bike N Brew said:
Why woud you toss the warm yeast without making a starter to see if it is still viable?

I stand corrected. I havent heard of anyone having success with warm liquid yeast until now.

Make a starter, and see what comes of it.

- magno

Latest posts

Back