yeast choices

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MattHollingsworth

Reaction score
Looking into yeasts for mead. I will likely generally be making dry meads.

From reading over the Lallemand yeast library, these look nice to me. Anybody have experience with these yeasts with mead? What's the word?

D47: From the sounds of this, it could be a good house yeast. Sounds awesome.

Some others sound good. First 2 seem to be usual suspects with mead makers. But anybody use those last 2? They sound awesome.

71B
V1116

ICVD254

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/16487/103218/Dry_Wine_Yeast_-_ICVD254_8_g

Enoferm QA23

http://morewinemaking.com/view_product/16469/103218/Dry_Wine_Yeast_-_QA23_8_g

I used Lalvin V1116 in my last 2 meads (Pyment & Cyser). Both went from ~1.120 to .998. I've back sweetened the Pyment already & the Cyser is in it's 1st month of secondary after a month in the primary. V1116 will definitely give you a dry mead. Cheers!!!

I use D47 and 71B for most of my meads. I'll also use EC-1118 if I'm looking to really dry it out.

71B is also Schramm's choice for most melomels.

V1116 I've only used for white wines....

I have not tried the later two, though they do sound interesting...

Thanks guys. I think nearly all of the references I've seen for mead and Lalvin have been for 71B, D47, 1116 and 1118. I've seen only one reference for the other two, so curious. They sound tasty. I'll likely order a few of each and try D 47 first.

And, AZ IPA, 16K posts? My lord! Impressive!

Each of those yeasts can make good meads - I've tried every one of them plus quite a few more. If I could only have one it would be K1-V1116 as it is an extremely versatile yeast.

KIV-1116 is a great yeast for dry fruit meads as it seems to retain the fruit characteristics better than the EC-1118.

Back