Yeast Brick

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simie

Reaction score
Greetings Brewers:
Has anyone ever bought and used a brick of yeast. I can buy a brick of say fermentis US-05 much cheaper than a box of the same yeast in 28 packs. We primarily brew IPA's and pale ales and US-05 works for most of our beers. Anyone see an issue with this? I know sterilization would be paramount but it seems that if they package it this way then it must be meant to use. Thanks in advance brewers

Simie

I think the benefit of US-05 (over liquid chico) is shelf life and price. I don't see what you gain by spending $60 on a brick of yeast when you could as easily make a "brick" of yeast in mason jars over the course of two or three batches, all for $4.

Drastically overcomplicated. Yeast cake slurry is good in mason jars in the fridge for many months. Supposedly longer if you "rinse" it to remove the beer (I don't bother). Viability goes down with time (not as fast as MrMalty.com suggests), but you can build up that sample with a starter if it's on the older side.

I just pitched 500ml of saved yeast slurry (about one cake, that's the compacted volume) that's just short of 3 months old. That's a similar amount to what MrMalty suggests for that age. It took off on schedule. A little fast, actually, kinda worried it was a slight overpitch--we'll see.

Back