Yeast Blend

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MT's AZ Ale Haus

Reaction score
Has anyone done a Yeast blend?

If so, what were your results/opinions?

Example
10 gallon Brew
3L Yeast starter with WLP001
3L Yeast starter with US-05

Has anyone done a Yeast blend?

...just about every British commercial brewery before the 1970s or so, and some still do.

Doubling up WLP001 and US-05 seems a bit pointless - they're not the same but they're very close cousins. But one classic homebrew combination is Windsor followed by Nottingham 48h later, to combine a more flavourful yeast with one that has better attenuation/flocculation. WLP025 and 1335 are a similar combination that may represent a reunification of the two members of the Adnams dual strain. Or see this thread for the yeast in Treehouse Julius, which seems to be somewhere in the region of 90/7/3 S-04/T-58/WB-06.

I guess I used a bad example. I should have chosen 2 different varieties. I didn't literally mean WLP001 and US 05 they were just the 2 that popped in my head.

Mixing cultured Dupont dregs and 3711 makes a great Saison. Correct flavor and crazy attenuation without stalling.

Back