Yeast Bay "Amalgamation"

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brwagur

Reaction score
Has anyone used the Yeast Bay's Amalgamation blend as the primary yeast in their cider or perry?

I've been thinking about making a perry (using fairly boring store bought juice) featuring that blend but I was wondering if anyone has experience using it in cider and stuff and can share some tips before I order the stuff.

Nope but I have it in the fridge ready to go for when I collect some Cider on Monday!

Awesome! From the description it sounds like it would be great in cider, I just need to get off my butt and try it! :mug:

Mine will be pitched tomorrow, I will let you know how it is in a few months 👍

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

Awesome! From the description it sounds like it would be great in cider, I just need to get off my butt and try it! :mug:

Hi, This is Nick from The Yeast Bay. Wondering if you had any feedback on this cider/Amalgamation combination. We'd love to hear about it. We've heard out Northeastern Abbey is good for cider and a buddy of mine used an R&D version of Amalgamation in a mead, but I'm curious how it turned out in cider. Post an update if you can!

I haven't tried it yet, either (life happened) but I do have a couple gallons of lambic cider almost ready to bottle :tank:

Has anyone used the Yeast Bay's Amalgamation blend as the primary yeast in their cider or perry?

I've been thinking about making a perry (using fairly boring store bought juice) featuring that blend but I was wondering if anyone has experience using it in cider and stuff and can share some tips before I order the stuff.

What brand pear juice are you using? I want to try a perry, just not sure about what juice to use.

Hi, This is Nick from The Yeast Bay. Wondering if you had any feedback on this cider/Amalgamation combination. We'd love to hear about it. We've heard out Northeastern Abbey is good for cider and a buddy of mine used an R&D version of Amalgamation in a mead, but I'm curious how it turned out in cider. Post an update if you can!

Hi Nick,

I currently have Amalgamation, Melange & Wallonian Farmhouse Ciders on the go (see here). I haven't tasted them yet, but they are looking good!

I also just started a batch of common cider with Amalgamation. Didn't do a perry, though, because the main purpose of the batch is to also act as a large starter. I'll let everyone know in about a month how it turned out.

So, the amalgamation has been bubbling away for the past few days but I pitched the Lochristi blend into a gallon of cider at the same time and haven't really seen any activity yet. Does Lochristi tend to be a slow starter or does it just not show many signs of fermentation?

In case anyone was curious, the lochristi blend finally developed krausen on Friday. It looked super weird at first since it was just a ring of foam surrounding a somewhat thick pellicle, but now it looks just like the gallon of amalgamation sitting beside it.

However, appearance is currently about all they have in common! Smelling both ciders they really could not be more different: the amalgamation has a mild aroma reminiscent of other 100% brett ciders I have brewed such as brett brux but largely overpowered by the smell of the rubber bung; the lochristi, on the other hand, smells like over-ripe fruit and acetic acid! Super weird, but similar to how to vial smelled at pitching.

I'm hoping that the vinegar smell is temporary/caused by the blend and not indicative of contamination because I can't think of when that could have happened!

Anyway, I'll try to keep posting updates, just 'cause.

Ok, weird update. The amalgamation cider is dry and crisp and probably ready to be bottled. The Lochristi cider, on the other hand, is STILL FERMENTING. It is still bubbling away and when I taste it it's still sweet. Anyone have any idea what's going on?

I know this is years later but I wanna keep the conversation about Brett in Mead and Cider going. I've already brewed a lovely amalgamation 2 + claussenii mead...
[[I split the batch into 3 fermentors each will different yeast. Apart of the above I've also used hornidal kveik and Imperial juice, the brett one was by far the most fruity and my personal favorite.] ]
Brett enhanced acidity, aromas and complexity to make you feel like drinking a glass of white wine.
...and I'm about to start a batch with Greek heirloom apples as the next logical step I'm thinking about what Brett mix to use.. Either amalgamation 2 + claussenii or amalgamation 1 instead of 2. And maybe make a split batch with Sach trois and Brett copitch.

Long time lurker here for reading up on beers,meads and cider but i felt like jumping in to say I have three gallons from the orchard going right now with the yeast bay Amalgamation. I had created a large starter for a beer a few weeks ago and was able to basically fill a vile.

Pitched about half the vial into the 3 gallon carboy around noon on Wednesday this morning work up with my air a mess. The stuff took no time at all to take off!

Looking forward to the results, there's a cidery local to me that does this and im hoping it will be close to their product.

I also did a 100% Brett Brux mead earlier in the year that was 7.7%. I didn't make a starter for that so it took a while to take off. It also took about 6 months until it was drinkable, it was pretty much unpalatable a month in.

Back