Yeast at bottling time after long lagering?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrutalBrew

Reaction score
I have a oktoberfest that I plan to lager for 6 months. This is my first lager. Should I add yeast when its time to bottle? Its 2 months into lagering and at 38 deg. at this time. Ive thought about bottling now and then finishing the lager but im not sure how that would effect the brew. Might be better to just wait till lagering is done and add yeast when bottling? I kinda feel that adding yeast will be counter productive to the lagering. Isnt the reason you lager to get EVERYTHING to settle to the bottom so the brew is clean/clear as possible? If you bottle condition your adding material back into the brew you just spent 6 months getting rid of. Comments/input welcome.. please enlighten me.

I too am working on my first lager. I brewed on May 3rd and fermented with WLP820 at 52°F. Last week airlock activity had almost stopped, so, over a few days, I raised to 68° for a diacytal rest. Last night I dropped the temp to 36° for a week or two, then I will bottle. I have reached my projected FG and the beer is very tasty. I am not planning on adding any yeast at bottling. I will add corn sugar for carbonation. I fully expect enough of my yeast friends will be on hand to fart my beer into carbonation.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

yes, you need to add yeast after lagering. i use 1/2 teaspoon of rehydrated dry yeast and even that small amount is, i think, more than necessary. the little bit of yeast you add doesn't really affect the flavor or clarity after a couple weeks of conditioning.

FYI this question has been asked many, many times before. check the links at the bottom of the page, in the "Similar Threads" box.

Thanks. I did that and didnt find the answer. Maybe I didnt spend enough time looking. You can make the point that EVERY question has been answered somewhere so if a question offends people then why do they take the time to respond "its been asked before"? Close down the question forums if everything has been talked about and have it just a search and read forum. If some people enjoy helping other people then let them. If you dont want to help then why even post or read the thread? Just to troll? I dont understand it. Im not trying to slam sweetcell. The reply wasnt mean or anything and seems to be trying to inform me of options of the site. Just noticed when reading threads on my question that most of the replys was "this has been covered"

cool, glad you didn't take my advice the wrong way because it certainly wasn't meant to be mean or anything of the sort. i was simply pointing out why your question - which is a perfectly good one - wasn't being answered. i wouldn't want you to feel ignored.

The "Long fermentation time and bottling" thread covers it: some people do, some people don't. there is no hard and fast answer. if you're concerned that your yeast won't get the job done, add 1/4 pack (even a 1/10 should do it) at bottling. plenty of folks have reported that they carbed just fine without re-yeasting, even after many months. personally, i'd add a sprinkle just to be safe.

My question is this--is lagering for 6 months really necessary?

The traditional German schedule for brewing lagers was to brew them in March or so and then age until September. However, this was done mostly before refrigeration was readily available. I would dare say that no breweries lager their Octoberfest beers for 6 months anymore--just too costly and space inefficient to do so.

I've done lagers that aged anywhere from 2 weeks to 3 months and they all turned out just fine with no yeast added at bottling. As long as you can refrigerate the beer while its being lagered there is really no need to go 6 months and then have to worry about the yeast not being viable for carbing.

Good question. I dont know enough to have a opinion on lagering time. The only reason I planned on 6 months is because ive read everywhere that is nornal for oktoberfest type brews. I would like to know what exactly makes a oktoberfest a oktoberfest. I added 1 pound of rye to my recipe to add flavor and wondered if its not a oktoberfest anymore. i do have a fridge and have it at 37-38 deg now. I thought about bringing it down to 34 for a month and bottling.

Back