Yeast and bottling

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scallywag

Reaction score
I'm making a Chimay Blue clone from Beer Captured. When ever I've added new yeast before bottling I've always added it to the bottling bucket just prior to packaging. However, this recipe calls for adding a second dose of yeast 3 days prior to bottling. Does anyone know the science or purpose of this technique? :confused:

I have a Chimay Blue in the secondary right now....(1 month primary, 3 weeks and counting in secondary.) I planned on adding the extra yeast at bottling...curious what anyone else says about the 3 day thingy....

Well, I don't know for certain, but I would suspect that it has something to do with not wanting the fresh yeast to be at high krausen when you bottle the beer, lest you leave yeasty scum (beerstone) inside the necks of the bottles.

Just a shot in the dark here. I rarely bottle, so I don't have a real good basis for theorizing.

Latest posts

Back