Yeast and Asthma

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

held79

Reaction score
Does anyone here have asthma that has noticed it flare up after drinking homebrew? I've noticed my asthma has been bothering me more than usual and just recently realized that about the time it has started acting up is when I started drinking my brews.

Mine only does that when I drink Wheat beers. You are probably allergic to one of the ingredients. Different types of hops can do it too.

I've been taking allergy shots and been doing great until the beer. I'm allergic to molds and fungi wonder if I have yeast allergies. It's usually worse the morning after I have a few homebrews.

I'm allergic to grass and mold, but have had no issues with homebrew at all. My asthma only flares up when it's triggered by weather changes, or when I'm sick. Maybe try not having a homebrew for a few days, then try one. See if that's the cause.

Doctors have always thought I have asthma due to my coughing spasms that I get yearly during heavy cold and flu season.

I must say that during my BMC days, I used to get hives and feel a bit warm and chest heavy when drinking repeatedly for a few days. Now that I drink homebrew, I thought it would be worse, but I haven't experienced it at all. I'm still trying to figure out what in BMC caused my hives.

Back