yeast all right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slatorian

Reaction score
hello fellow homebrewers.
So I ordered a kit from Northern Brewer, it shipped on time perfectly, but unfortunately i couldn't be there to get the package and the box had to sit in my garage over the weekend while the heat was fiery at first (i live in MD). my question is will the yeast in my smack pack still be perfectly fine if it was in temperatures fluctuating between 70 and maybe up to about 95 at first. I'm not positive on the temperature friday, but all i know is driving around i saw a sign saying it hit 107 at some point, but at least it was in the garage which should have helped a bit. thanks for any insight on the topic. cheers :mug:

hrmm, I always used white labs, but I would think that if you go ahead and smack the pack and wait for it to swell up, then don't you know you have active yeast? you can always smack it now and if it swells up, pitch it into a starter. that starter can sit in the fridge until you're ready to brew.

Make a starter and see what happens. Or you could always smack the pack and if it doesn't inflate you might wanna make your way down to the LHBS and buy a new pack.

thanks for the quick advice. if the yeast is still viable, it wont have any off flavors or anything since it was exposed to the high heat, will it? that's my main concern after whether or not it's actually alive.

Back