Yeast abuse

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nikkimaija

Reaction score
*Caution, the following post may be considered graphic to some viewers*
Hubby is making 2 wines, a rhubarb and dandelion. Both seem stuck. So far we've identified radical underpitching as one culprit. I'm thinking that acidic ingredients (rhubarb in the one, lotsa citrus zest/juice in the other) could be stressing the yeast. I'm also concerned that there may be some osmotic shock going on as the OG was really high. The stuff has some hot alcohols right now, and is actually pretty high ABV, but I think there's still just too much residual sugar left.
So: I'm thinking dilution to drop the concentration of sugar, acid & booze, then re-pitching. Not sure whether to use the same yeast or a different, neutral one? Maybe a chalk addition to drop the acidity? Where might I look to find out what pH levels a particular yeast can tolerate? (The Wyeast site wasn't especially helpful on that point.) Any ideas would be much appreciated.

What yeast did you use?
I would suggest getting hold of a sparkling wine yeast such as EC1118 or PDM. They are strong fermenter's and handle some tough conditions.
check out the following site, you will have to join but there is a good guide to getting stuck ferments going again
http://www.newworldwinemaker.com/

Both are 5gal batches. I didn't see the OG's when first put together but hubs says they were like 1.5 (yipes!) - this is what is leading me to think that dilution might help. One used Wyeast Eau de Vie, not sure about the other (maybe Rudesheimer? random, I know) but each got a single smack pack. I think a packet of some brand of dry champagne yeast got pitched at some point in one of them also. We are getting ahold of some pH strips, but didn't measure back then. What is TA?
Clearly this is not an especially scientific operation here.
Thanks for the links/suggestions, appreciate it.

I just started using TA myself, it's Titratable Acidity or Total Acidity. I bought a test kit a few weeks ago, I guess it gives you another look at your acid level. I hate the ph test strips, I can never really tell what my ph is. You could be on the right track with dilution, good luck.

Both are 5gal batches. I didn't see the OG's when first put together but hubs says they were like 1.5 (yipes!)

You might want to recheck your gravity, 1.500 would be more than 10lbs of sugar per gallon, at that point it wouldn't even be liquid anymore, just a damp pile of sugar :p

Latest posts

Back