Yakima Valley Hops- Simcoe Leaf 2014

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wahoo

Reaction score
Did anyone else get awful quality Simcoe Leaf hops from YVH this year? I ordered them in December (2014 harvest) and they are brownish and do not smell like Simcoe. I'm guessing these are either very old, or not Simcoes.... they are really earthy, and I can't tell if it's oxidation or just an earthy variety (Willamette, Goldings, etc).

Anyway, buyers beware. I'm really happy with the pellet hops I got from them but I won't be brewing with these, and at $22/lb...:(

Did you contact them? I've ordered quite a bit from them, not whole leaf though, and never had an issue.

I've bought a ton of pellet hops from them this year and have no complaints. Recently ordered several pounds of various leaf hops for dry hopping. Planned on using the Simcoe this past weekend and when I opened them I found pretty much what you described. Opened a bag of Cascade for comparison and these were much better, greener and better aroma. Going to contact them tomorrow and see what they have to say...

When I have problems YVH will replace the lot with no questions asked. No shipping, no sending the old crap back. It doesn't happen much but they don't mess around. I say contact them!

Guess I should have gone right to the source rather than just complaining on an internet forum! :eek:

Got an email back from them stating that this is normal color for Simcoe (as well as citra and summit. Now I'm second guessing myself. I opened the bag I had vacuum sealed and they are just not particularly pungent-- I'm used to simcoes being super aggresive. Let me know what you find.

Will do. I have to agree with you on the aroma, not even close to the pellets that I have. I understand that they are different forms and won't necessarily be the same, but it is a big difference.

I opened a bag of Cascade that I got in the same order and they are greener with more aroma, not as pungent as pellets, but they do definitely smell like hops.

The replacements from YVH are pretty much the same as the originals. The hops from another vendor are definitely greener and have a bit more/nicer aroma than the other two, although it's not a night and day difference as far as the aroma is concerned. I would not have hesitated to use those. But to be honest had it not been for the original post, I might have just used the first batch, hard to say.

These are the first leaf hops I've bought since returning to brewing last August. Previously (17 yrs. a go) I used leaf hops only, but I'm certainly not going to rely on those memories. My point is, from an aroma standpoint it may be inexperience at work and expectations that the leaf hops are going to be as pungent as pellets out of the bag when they won't be. I'm sure more aromatics are exposed once the hops are crushed and pelletized.

After kegging I did have a liter of a R2H56 clone leftover in a pet bottle with a carbonator cap. I tossed 4 or 5 cones from the first batch in and we'll see how they turn out compared to the kegged version which I dry hopped with pellets.

To be clear, YVH said that if I am not happy with the product to let them know and they will send out return labels, I have always been pleased with their service.

Back