X-mas Ale Suggestions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andy_P

Reaction score
I want to try and do something a little different and have it ready to pass out by Christmas.

I am thinking about doing a porter with cranberries and then throwing in some almond brandy and maybe a vanilla bean.

How long should something like this sit in the secondary and bottles before I can hand them out for the holidays?

I am not sure if there is an actual almond flavored brandy yet but if not I can infuse the brandy myself.

Anyone have any suggestions on this? I am fairly new to brewing so I am always open to ideas and criticism.

The almond and vanilla sound good to me. The cranberries may be a little problematic. You will likely end up with a tart, odd porter (cranberries don't really have a lot of flavor other than sour). If you really want to give them out at Christmas you may want to play it a little safer.

I would suggest you go with vanilla beans and almond extract after the bulk of fermentation is done (or in secondary) and maybe add some cocoa nibs too. Good luck

Is there something else I can throw in to give it a slight berry taste. I don't want anything overpowering. Thanks.

You will get a dark berry or stonefruit taste from english 80L or invert 3, or belgian dark candi syrup. Or ferment with 1469. If you want a light berry taste, Golden naked oats, brambling cross or belma hops, are possibilities. All will be easier, and age quicker than adding actual fruit.

I think I am ready to brew this one. I have decided to go with a Flying Dog Imperial Porter clone, switch out the yeast for the WLP545 Belgian Strong Ale Yeast. Plan on adding Amaretto to the secondary for the almond flavoring.

I am still fairly new to home brewing so does anyone see any issues with this?

Back