Wyst3724 restart with Wyst3711

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alex4mula

Reaction score
Got a Saison that go stuck at 1.030 with Wyst-3724. I did a new starter of Wyst-3711 and poured it in. Should it create a new high krausen again? It started bubbling faster but not like a regular one from start and no krausen.

I would not have been expecting much of a krausen to form. BTW, Wyeast 3724 can go pretty slow, but it probably would have finished eventually. In my experirnce, it always does. Adding the 3711 will probably get you there faster, but IMO makes a very different beer.

Thanks. Yes I know it could finish but I have a cousin visiting and wanted this beer to be done so I went to try the 3711 route. I made the mistake of poring the new starter after 24hrs and not at the starter high krausen as some recommend. I see it is bubbling faster now but I was expecting like a normal full kick off. Something new to learn. I did the same beer with WLP-565 and it fermented in one week at 84°F. But my LHBS didn't have it when I bought the ingredients and tried 3724 instead. NExt time I'll wait for the 565.

IIRC, Wyeast 3711 does not generate much of a krausen at all, and takes 3-4 weeks to reach final gravity. If you're very patient, and lucky, repitching might work. However, I also have my doubts. It seems like 95% of the time when people try to save a batch by adding more yeast, it's just a waste of yeast -- the previous yeast out-competes them, and the existing alcohol and low sugar content prevents the new yeast from being very happy in the already half-fermented beer.

Good luck.

Give it time. You didn't hurt your beer by adding more yeast, though I agree it was probably unnecessary. You didn't mention your fermentation temperature. Saisons like warmer temperatures -- I've pushed mine as high as 80 F, though I prefer the low to mid-70s. If you are below that, letting the temperature rise might help.

Patience is one of a brewer's best friends. Give it time, it will finish and be very good.

I started the 3724 at 75F. It kicked in maybe 6-8hrs and had a 1/2 krausen. Then changed it to 79F after 24hrs. At that point it stalled. I changed it all the way to 90F and nothing happened. I'll let it run for a while. Worst case I won't have it ready/ Bummer.

Other ways I have kicked started 3724, raise temp (sounds like you already did that), swirl fermenter, and/or add a small amount of fruit juice (no preservatives (kills yeast)).

Back