Wyeat 1007

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

msppilot

Reaction score
Has anyone used wyeast 1007? I brewed a Sam Adams clone yesterday and placed it in primary in my basement. Currently the temperature in the area is about 53 degrees. Normally, I have seen some action in the airlock by now but I have never used this yeast before and I'm not sure how long it takes to get going. I made a starter so there should plenty of healthy cells in there.

JonM

Reaction score
It's a great yeast and ferments super clean in mid 50s. You're in good shape. Once it gets going, it'll probably get a HUGE fluffy krausen so def have a blowoff tube.

Joewalla88

Reaction score
This yeast is great. Really clean. I don't have a lager set up, so I've used this in the past for fake lagers, because it has such a clean profile. I've had it go into the mid 60s with no flavor issues. I think I've even pushed the max temp with no off flavors. It's very user friendly.

Beer-lord

Lifetime Supporter
Reaction score
I made a faux lager with it last year, fermented at 58 and it came out very clean. Hard for me to tell it wasn't real lager yeast. I think it's pretty much the same up to about 62 degrees or so.

OP
msppilot

msppilot

Reaction score
Looks like to may be starting to go. It's been almost 24 hours and there is no bubbles in the airlock yet but it looks a krausen has started to form. i removed the airlock and rigged up a blow off tube also just in case.