Wyeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dustinolsen84

Reaction score
Does anyone know how long Wyeast will last once swollen? I can't brew until Thursday and it's ready. Am I o

Some wyeast will swell from shipping, manufacturer recommends putting in the fridge when you get it to bring back down. If you popped the nutrient pack, why not make a starter? Would take maybe a half hour

+1 ^

If you're brewing a 3 gallon batch or larger over 1.030-1.035, you'll need to build up your yeast count by making a starter. A cleaned and well-sanitized 1/2 gallon glass pickle jar on the counter will do fine for now. It's the road to better beer.

They're quite simple! The yeast companies usually post how to's on their website, and Palmer posts a good guide on his web book. I usually boil a heavy 1 L of water with 1/2 cup of dry malt extract for 15 mins, pour into a sanitized flask, or 0.5 gal container, cool to the yeast recommended temp, and pitch. Then cover with sanitized aluminum foil. Your yeast comes with a nutrient pack so you're all set there. Just give it a healthy shake every now and then and keep at room temp out of sunlight. Should be ready for Thursday!

Last edited:
Back