Wyeast spam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bob_E

Reaction score
Just a heads up, I've been getting spam mail from @wyeastlab.com. The name on the recent one is Gmail Team titled Message Notification, but I don't have a gmail account and the address it was sent from is [email protected].
I'm thinking their email got hacked, and if the hacker was a little more clever I probably would have opened it...

Note that just because the return email is @wyeastlab.com, it doesn't necessarily mean Wyeast's email was hacked. You can make the return address whatever you want. The spammer may have just picked Wyeastlab.com, but still sent it from some server in Russia. I could send you an email with the return address @president.us.gov if I wanted - it doesn't mean anything.

Check the message header and follow the server trail. Return address or from address is easily faked. More likely someone you know, or you yourself, has had your address book scanned by malware of some sort and the address fields used to email all kinds of people.

Latest posts

Back