Wyeast Rogue Pacman starter help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shamus30

Reaction score
I am preparing to brew a big sweet stout (1.085 Target OG) using Wyeast's Rogue Pacman yeast (of which I have one smack pack).

According to the Mr. Malty calculator (see screenshot below), I need 3 Liters of starter to fully attenuate.

All of my starters to this point have been 500-1000ml and am a little nervous about screwing up a starter this big (especially with a limited production yeast strain).

My question is, are there any special steps I should take with this starter? What should I use to cultivate the starter in (Would a growler be ok?). Are there any other things I need to look out for?

00000232.png

I am preparing to brew a big sweet stout (1.085 Target OG) using Wyeast's Rogue Pacman yeast (of which I have one smack pack).

According to the Mr. Malty calculator (see screenshot below), I need 3 Liters of starter to fully attenuate.

All of my starters to this point have been 500-1000ml and am a little nervous about screwing up a starter this big (especially with a limited production yeast strain).

My question is, are there any special steps I should take with this starter? What should I use to cultivate the starter in (Would a growler be ok?). Are there any other things I need to look out for?

You'll be fine. I have a gallon glass jug that I use for starters that size.

I generally make my starter two days before brew day. I let it ferment for at least 24 hours, then put it in the fridge. On brew day I decant off the liquid and make a small (~500 ml) starter to get the yeast woken up and pitch that.

It depends on how old the yeast is and how it has been handled. Fresh yeast, you can make a starter the day before and pitch the whole starter. Make it 2 days if you intend to cold crash and decant the starter.

I usually start it a week before. When the starter is finished, I swirl it up and take 8 ozs out of it into a sanitized mason jar. Place jar in the fridge ...... Use it as a new yeast vial next time I need the yeast. It will keep for many months (I've used them after a year).

I'm with calder on the fresh starter a day before. That's what I do when using fresh yeast. It's likely impossible to pitch too much yeast as a homebrewer (especially when you're talking about Imperial Stout or barleywine, etc). Bigger is better.

A good old 1-gallon wine jug is my vessel of choice for starters, but I only do a starter once every few months. The rest of the time I'm racking off the primary and pouring a brand new batch of wort on to the yeast cake the same day. I can re-pitch in this manner about seven times or so with no ill effects.

When it comes to doing something high gravity like this, I like to do something simple say.. a batch of pale ale or IPA, rack off to secondary first and then introduce the new wort on top of all those billions of cells on brew day!!

-K

Back