Wyeast pre-swollen packs of 1450 and 1056 are they still OK?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ricand

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We just got some of Denny's favorite yeast in and it was semi-swollen. I called NB and they said both 1056 and 1450 have been swelling up a bit in shipment. It's too swollen to smack even, but not tight like they get when they are smacked. I'm doing a starter so I'll check viability and taste, but has anyone else used them swollen and were they ok? I'm worried about infection and since we're doing 10 gallons of RiPA I don't want to risk the ingredients.

Like NB said, should have no problem. I had same thing 2 weeks ago. Made starter and pitched without problem. Fermentation started in 12 hours and went normally. Make a starter to ensure you have enough to pitch and let 'er rip.

I had the same thing too. I acually thought that the packet had already been smacked so I panicked and made a starter (this was my first time making a starter but luckily I had every thing I needed.) Starter worked out fine and fermentation started fast. I am actually getting the most yeast I have ever gotten boiling out of the airlock. So I wouldn't worry about it.

Same here. I had two packs of 1056 semi-swollen. I was just able to pop the inner pack on each package with lots of force.

I put it in the fridge when it arrived today and the pressure has dropped considerably, but it's still too swollen to pop the inner bag. Should I just pitch the yeast and skip the inner bag, or should I open the whole thing up and open the inner pack prior to pitching into my starter?

I put it in the fridge when it arrived today and the pressure has dropped considerably, but it's still too swollen to pop the inner bag. Should I just pitch the yeast and skip the inner bag, or should I open the whole thing up and open the inner pack prior to pitching into my starter?

I'd make a starter if you could, or just pitch without proofing pretending that it's from White Labs.

I have given up on ordering liquid yeast during summer. My last 2 orders never started fermenting but then I didn't have supplies to make a starter either. Dry yeast is just easier for me.

I have given up on ordering liquid yeast during summer. My last 2 orders never started fermenting but then I didn't have supplies to make a starter either. Dry yeast is just easier for me.

We have been brewing with dry yeast for the last year or so. We wanted Denny's yeast to keep our first brew of RIPA optimized, soooo... this happened. However, it's kickin like a chicken in the starter after 10 hours, so tomorrow's pitch should be happy. Go 1450!

Did you get the ice pack with the yeast? How long was it in transit? I'm trying to figure out if I should really avoid liquid yeast here in Ca when it's hot.

Right now I am getting my liquid yeast from my LHBS so I am not concerned with the high temperatures.

You really should be making starters whenever using liquid yeast.

I have used dry yeast a couple of times recently but more because of timing than anything else, I didn't allow time for a starter.

Back