Wyeast Lacto Brevis - Metallic Taste?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jazzyfool

Reaction score
Decided to begin my first sour experiment after almost 3 years of making non-sour beer. Brewed a Berliner Weiss and decided to kettle sour (or for me cooler sour to try and hold temp). Pitched a strain of Lacto Brevis from Wyeast's Private Collection Friday around 2:30pm into 105ish degree 1.026 unboiled wort. Intending to let sour to degree I want and then boil for 10-15 to kill lacto, and pitch German Ale yeast.

Temperature is holding between 90-100 thanks to an electric blanket and theres definitely a pellicle-ish film forming on top. I took a sample (from the bronze ball valve in my cooler) and its not quite sour yet (36 hrs) but on the front of the tongue there's a really dominant metallic taste. I'm not sure if the Lacto or the pH is interacting with something in the cooler but the only thing I can think of is the bronze ball valve that I'm drawing samples from…

Anyone had any weird metal taste show up in a lacto ferm? Help is appreciated!

I've tasted a tinny metallic flavor in lacto only beers like Cascade. I don't necessarily know what to would react in the cooler. I suspect it's just a byproduct of the lacto and nothing with the cooler. Then again if this is the first time you've done this in your cooler mashtun then it's entirely possible.

Ok this morning some sourness has started to develop. The metallic taste is still there but it's blending with the rest of the flavors of the wort a bit more.

It may just be how the lacto is presenting in the unboiled wort right now and the flavor may blend in once I boil and ferment with German Ale yeast later (I hope). Would seem odd that the whole cooler full of wort would all of a sudden become metallic as it passed through the valve for a sample but who knows.

Back