Wyeast Brit Ale II Lag on Big Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Clintron3000

Reaction score
So this is only my third batch, and the first two I used standard muntons gold dry yeast. One on an IPA and one on a stout and both kicked it in the a$$ quickly on the ferm. I had machine gun action out the airlock in 5 hours.

I brewed a batch last night of Imperial IPA...
OG 1.075 and pitched the Wyeast British ALE II Activator pack.
The pack was noticibly swelling after 3 hours and I pitched DIRECTLY into the wort and sealed it up. Room temp is 73 degrees F.
As of this morning... no action.

I'm using an ale pail, So I can't see if there is any bubbles forming etc.. but there's nothing in the airlock.

I gave it a swirrel and a few bubbles came out the airlock, but nothing major.
I've been keeping an eye on it, and every so often a bubble will come out of the lock, but it's certainly not machine gun style and seems pretty sluggish... a bubble every 10 minutes or something.

The fact that I've got SOMETHING coming out is good, but I'm wondering if this is typical of the Wyeast liquid and a big OG? Should I be worried if it never really takes off and starts blasting the airlock?

Thanks in advance.
-C

I wouldn't be to concerned. It can take 24 or more hours before yeast growth arrives to the point where fermentation will begin to really take off. I would try to get the temp down some if it is 73 degrees because the temp will rise as fermentation progresses.

Suggested reading is for yeast starters. Good Luck

It is dependent on many conditions. Keep checking for the next 48 hours though, if after that you dont have fermentation that would be a problem.

The airlock as well is not a good sign of fermentation.

Thanks for the tips.
nanofreak, are you saying that the airlock should not be my indicator that fermentation is taking place?

Thanks for the tips.
nanofreak, are you saying that the airlock should not be my indicator that fermentation is taking place?

Yes, generally you will see it bubble during fermentation, but you could already be in the beginning of fermentation and just not have steady action yet. Same thing for ending fermentation, just because you don't see bubbles does not mean it is done.

Pitching a smack pack directly into a wort with an OG of 1.075 is almost certainly going to take a day or two to take off, and possibly more. To get activity like you saw with the dry yeast, you really should make a starter.

-a.

thanks nanofreak.
yeah ajf, somehow I missed those instructions on the package.
I figured more sugar, more food for the yeast! Not so it seems.
Live and learn!
Does anyone know biologically why yest work that way?

BTW Update: We're about 24 hours from pitch time and I've got a steady stream out the airlock. Seems to be doing just fine!
Thanks for the help.

Back