Wyeast Activator pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UnderDogs

Reaction score
I recently purchase a Wyeast Activator pack 2565 Kolsch.

I broke the activator around 8am the other day and by 11pm the pack really didn't expand at all. I called the brew supply store and they said it shouldn't be a big deal if I'm making a Starter.

Well I made my starter last night around 8pm and today it isn't really doing anything at all. There is a bubble here and there but not really any action.

Was this pack a dud?

Nah, i bet it's fine. Starters ferment out sometimes in a few hours, so quickly you don't often see a thing. How much yeast sediment you have on the bottom? If you swirl it to get them back into suspension, does it get a vigorous action going for a few seconds?

There is a decent amount at the bottom of the starter but I keep swirling it around. It foams up pretty good when I swirl it around but there is still just a little bubble out of the air lock when I put it back on.

Should I just go buy another pack? I would probably just decant this and pitch it in with the activator pack. If I bought a second one I wouldn't make a starter with it.

Does this sound ok to do or would that be too much yeast for the wort in the carboy?

I think you're probably fine with what you have. bubbles mean very little to me. They do show fermentation, but a lack of them don not prove a lack of it. If you've got a decent amount and it foams up pretty good...I'd say you're good with it. Make sure to let it sit for a good amount of time since last agitation if you're going to decant and pitch. Otherwise pitch it all to get the still suspended yeast in there.

As far as overpitching yeast goes....search that in this forum. You'll get ALL sorts of opinions on it. :)

I just want to make sure I explained what I meant about foam. I get foam like i would on a head of beer. I have not got the foam from the yeast doing there thing though. Like after it ferments you get the white layer at the top, I have not got that.

You still think it's good to go though? I would hate to brew everything and then pitch the yeast and have nothing happen in the carboy.

I do think you're set. Most kolsch's start under 1.050 and I think you'll be fine.

I don't really care to open up the overpitching debate in this post, but if you chucked in a second activator it may easy your mind during the first 48-72 hours and in my mind doesn't hurt. If that's worth the $6 then go for it.

but i betcha you're good. unfortunately, having a spare pack of dry yeast on hand incase of no fermentation after 72hours really isn't an option, as kolsch yeast is what makes a kolsch.

I just want to make sure I explained what I meant about foam. I get foam like i would on a head of beer. I have not got the foam from the yeast doing there thing though. Like after it ferments you get the white layer at the top, I have not got that.

Sounds like every starter I've ever made without a stir plate. You rarely get a noticeable krausen in a starter, esp if you are swirling (a good thing). The foam and collection of yeast on the bottom mean your pack wasn't a dud. I've had many that never swelled up. The foam mean there are active yeast in there, because CO2 is being produced. When you swirl, you release CO2 and create foam.

Sounds like every starter I've ever made without a stir plate. You rarely get a noticeable krausen in a starter, esp if you are swirling (a good thing). The foam and collection of yeast on the bottom mean your pack wasn't a dud. I've had many that never swelled up. The foam mean there are active yeast in there, because CO2 is being produced. When you swirl, you release CO2 and create foam.

Thank you, Krausen, I couldn't think of that word for the life of me.

So basically everything should be done then right and I can pitch the starter anytime now? It's too late to brew tonight but maybe I'll start tomorrow after work.

Enjoy that beer. Kolsch is a wonderful yeast. You can ferment it at about any temperature, even lager it if you want. I add some orange and corrainder to mine, along with around 2#'s flaked corn. One of my more popular brews with BMC drinkers.

What is the advantage to these types of yeast packs? I've had the best luck with pitch-able wet yeast and dry yeast... I don't understand why people would want to bother with starters etc... I do understand if you are reusing yeast, and situations like that... but why use these packs w/ activators?

What is the advantage to these types of yeast packs? I've had the best luck with pitch-able wet yeast and dry yeast

Starters let you pitch the appropriate amount of liquid yeast. There's really no such thing as a pitchable wet yeast (a Wyeast smack pack or White labs "pitchable" vial is enough for only really small beers; up to a 1.028 OG, technically. Even a 1.040 OG beer--less than even the smallest American pale ale--needs 1.5 packs/vials by the math).

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html is a good resource for figuring out how much yeast to pitch.

that's actually a lot of questions. I"ll make an effort here.

yeast in some beers is the main flavor provider. kolsch is one. (there are many others)

an activator is supposedly pitchable to 5 gallons at 1.050. most of us like to feed the guys and let them reproduce...so that when they hit the magic off your stove they eat and screw like crazy.

a propagator is not able to frement a 5 gallon batch. it NEEDS to get all horny in a starter.

dry yeast is an excellent option for a lot of brews. but some of these packs really impart a flavor that a dry yeast simply cannot.

Starters let you pitch the appropriate amount of liquid yeast. There's really no such thing as a pitchable wet yeast (a Wyeast smack pack or White labs "pitchable" vial is enough for only really small beers; up to a 1.028 OG, technically. Even a 1.040 OG beer--less than even the smallest American pale ale--needs 1.5 packs/vials by the math).

http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html is a good resource for figuring out how much yeast to pitch.

Thanks. I used liquid yeast for the first time, and pitched 2 vials in a big beer... it was/is fermenting like crazy. OG was 1.076.

Latest posts

Back