Wyeast 3944

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

buffaloipa

Reaction score
So I brewed a wit 5 days ago. Actually a strong wit with an OG of 1.062. Partial mash. I used the lg. Wyeast smack pack which I ordered from Austin homebrew. I wasn't feeling great about the pack as it didn't expand like they usually do. I smacked it a good 5 hrs before I pitched. I brewed and pitched anyway as the instructions always say it doesn't have to expend a lot. The yeast started slow, about 24 hrs. later. I aerate with a pump and was fermenting between 68 and 70 degrees. That's as cool as I can keep it this time of year. I'm using a cold water bath that I rotate frozen 2 liter bottles in. (need a ferm. fridge!)

I took a reading 4 days in and it dropped to 1.042. There was still a decent krausen going in the bucket. I've been giving the bucket a gentle swirling every day as the yeast is a top eater and I'm trying to keep it on fresh wort. Should I start thinking about maybe throwing in another pack from my lhbs? They'll be closed Sunday and Monday so I'd like to pick it up tomorrow. I heard this is a pretty hungry yeast so I was hoping the gravity would have dropped more.

4 days isn't that long fermentation time wise. I'd probably wait at least a week. I usually brew a batch or two ahead of time so I can keep the kegerator full, that keeps me at about a one month primary fermentation.

If you're in a hurry you're not going to hurt anything by throwing another smack pack in there, but I've had great experience just letting the yeast do its thing. It'll get there sooner or later.

I used 3944 recently, and it didn't swell up a ton.

I went from 1.042 to 1.010 in 7 days. The krausen was still thick as heck.

If it was a standard gravity Wit I'd just go with the one pack but I'm leaning towards pitching another pack since my OG was 1.062. I'm taking another reading tmrw which will be just short of a week. If it's not below 1.030 I'll pick up another pack from my LHBS and pitch. I'd like it to finish between 1.012 and 1.014.

b-ipa, I didn't even notice your screenname until now. Go to NT homebrew and just ask Bert, the tall guy. He won't try to sell you something for the sake of selling you something.

Every time I've used WY3944 I get an extremely vigorous fermentation with a MASSIVE kreuzen - at least 6" thick. I don't think the swirling would help much, personally, because this yeast is already so low flocculation. I also don't know if disturbing a kreuzen is detrimental, but I would let it do its thing.

b-ipa, I didn't even notice your screenname until now. Go to NT homebrew and just ask Bert, the tall guy. He won't try to sell you something for the sake of selling you something.

Thanks, I spoke with him on the phone when I called to check stock. He recommended pitching more yeast. I'd rather spend the 7 or 8 bucks than risk ending up with a crappy batch.

Another question. Can I brew a second batch in a few weeks and use the old yeast? I've never re-used yeast before but now seems like a good time to try. Would I just put my wort right on top of the yeast cake or should I skim off some of the top layer?

Thanks, I spoke with him on the phone when I called to check stock. He recommended pitching more yeast. I'd rather spend the 7 or 8 bucks than risk ending up with a crappy batch.

Another question. Can I brew a second batch in a few weeks and use the old yeast? I've never re-used yeast before but now seems like a good time to try. Would I just put my wort right on top of the yeast cake or should I skim off some of the top layer?

I would wash the yeast and then pitch the right amount according to MrMalty, unless you're making a HUGE wit (wouldn't really be a wit then I guess).

I used this yeast last weekend, and I was planning on making a starter with it, but my smack pack expanded so rapidly that I figured it wasn't necessary. Fermentation started within 6 hours, so I guess they were pretty viable cells. Had it not expanded so much, I would have made a starter, which is what I think everyone should do with liquid yeast since you have no way of knowing what exactly it's been through from the lab to your door.

I would wash the yeast and then pitch the right amount according to MrMalty, unless you're making a HUGE wit (wouldn't really be a wit then I guess).

I used this yeast last weekend, and I was planning on making a starter with it, but my smack pack expanded so rapidly that I figured it wasn't necessary. Fermentation started within 6 hours, so I guess they were pretty viable cells. Had it not expanded so much, I would have made a starter, which is what I think everyone should do with liquid yeast since you have no way of knowing what exactly it's been through from the lab to your door.

Yeah, I learned my lesson with this one. I've always had my smack packs go crazy so this is the first time (with Wyeast) that I considered a starter. Wish I had used one as it would have saved me a few bucks. Obviously I always use a starter with any White Labs yeast and I actually prefer them if I can find the one I'm looking for.

Ok, so I did another check before running to my local LHBS for more yeast and it dropped another 10 points to 1.032 in the last couple of days so I guess I'll just let it ride! I'm usually not this impatient but I guess I was expecting the 3944 to be a faster worker from what I had read. Go yeasties go!!!!!!!

BTW my witbier is one of the best beers I have made in ages. I think it'll be a real crowd pleaser.

Did you add spices? I didn't, and I kind of wish I did.

BTW my witbier is one of the best beers I have made in ages. I think it'll be a real crowd pleaser.

Did you add spices? I didn't, and I kind of wish I did.

Nice. There's nothing like a good wit or a good hefe during the summer heat. We just had some people over last night and my hefe that I brewed about a month ago and an IPA I just bottled went over really well. No better feeling than when people enjoy your beer.

I added crushed coriander and ground indian black pepper and of course some bitter orange peel. Kind of wish I had gone a little heavier on the hops as my original recipe was a lower gravity. I decided to brew a stronger wit and didn't really up my hop amount. Hopefully the spices will take away some of the sweetness. It smells pretty great so far.

So I just bottled the wit and the FG ended up at 1.016. Definitely higher than I wanted as I was shooting for about 1.012. Tasted pretty good, just a little on the sweet side. Definitely happy I didn't pitch another pack of yeast though. I'd rather have it be a little heavier than dry it out. Can't wait to give one a try. In this heat they should carb up pretty quickly.

I just brewed an imperial belgian wit - decoction mash with an OG of 1.082 (yea - imperial!). (I do 1-gal batches)All temps were hit perfectly! I pitched a packet of wyeast 3944 (nov 2012 stamped on package) - and it started fermentation in about 2hrs and has been a beast since pitching 24hrs ago. Pouch swelled more than I have ever seen a wyeast swell...
super excited about this brew!

Back