Wyeast 3787 (Westmalle) Dry Alternative?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mayday99

Reaction score
Been out of brewing for awhile and getting back to it on a small scale. I always enjoyed simple all pils malt patersbier fermented with 3787.

Wondering if anyone has info on if any of the dry Belgian strains are similar. Searched but couldn't find anything definitive.

What I think, comes close, is Mangrove Jacks M31.
I made a westmalle triple clone with it a while ago, because my 3787-Starter that I made from yeast I put in NaCl-solution wouldn't wake up. It bacame a pretty solid triple, I couldn't tell it apart from the original yeast.

Been out of brewing for awhile and getting back to it on a small scale. I always enjoyed simple all pils malt patersbier fermented with 3787.

Wondering if anyone has info on if any of the dry Belgian strains are similar. Searched but couldn't find anything definitive.
So far I have only heard of one decent and supposed to be original Belgian dry yeast and that is supposed to be lallemand abbey. As mangrove Jack is known to repack yeasts, it could very well be that the above mentioned yeast is actually lallemand abbey.

Danstar-Lallemand Abbaye should come close. It may throw quite a bit of banana, but I think if you keep it cool in the low 60s F (17 C) that should prevent some of the banana. Other than the banana it should be a good one. And @Miraculix is right, I think there's a strong likelihood that M31 is the exact same stuff. Experiments are needed to confirm.

From my experience I'd say that Mangrove Jack's M31 is much closer in flavor and attenuation to the Duvel yeast, wlp570/wy1388, than to Westmalle.

From my experience I'd say that Mangrove Jack's M31 is much closer in flavor and attenuation to the Duvel yeast, wlp570/wy1388, than to Westmalle.

Do you know, is the average attenuation of M31 at about ~83% (e.g., FG=1.007 or so), or much higher in the mid 90s (e.g., FG=1.002)?

Regards.

The times I have used m31 in all grain beers (as in no sugar added) i've had attenuation in the mid to high 80's.

I've used SafAle BE-256 in a belgian dark strong and was pretty happy with the flavors and aromas it produced. For this year's BDS I used 3787 and can't tell too much of a difference

Latest posts

Back