Wyeast 3787 Going nuts!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LoloMT7

Reaction score
wow where is the warning label ? This yeast is like the Chuck Norris of Yeasties! I brewed a Trippel with a huge starter and it rocked my carboy as expected no big deal (used a blow off tube).

Then I decided to harvest the 3787 that what was left on the bottom of my secondary carboy (very little of it super thin layer). I made about a 1L starter and pitched it into a 6 gallon batch of a pretty simple Blonde with an OG of about 1.048 it is in a cold Tub of water inside the bath tub and holy $hit Balls! I came home from work the next day and the mess makes me almost certain that I should ALWAYS now use a blowoff !! The Airlock had to have been impressive when it launched into the ceiling it chipped the paint and my bathroom walls and ceiling were covered with yeast !

Strangely the wife wasn't nearly as impressed or amused as i was :rockin:

I use 3787 a lot. It is a strange beast. Sometimes it just take soff like a rocket and other times it just slowly chugs away. Always anticipate the wild and use a blow off tube. You never know.

Wives just don't understand the impressive nature of a good blow off...."...

For me its rather peaceful strain, always take a while to ferment and its not too big on the krausen, anyway for the future i would avoid harvesting yeast from the 2ndary, you definitively selecting for less flocculant yeast, this can be also reason for aggressive fermentation (more yeast in suspension ferment more aggressively)

3787 has been a monster for me, blowing out airlocks despite plenty of headspace, when the ambient temp is above about 64, but slow to get started and more peaceful in the low 60's. Seems to need a late temp raise to 70-75 to finish, though, for me.

3787 has been a monster for me, blowing out airlocks despite plenty of headspace, when the ambient temp is above about 64, but slow to get started and more peaceful in the low 60's. Seems to need a late temp raise to 70-75 to finish, though, for me.

This is usually what i see... i think the temp got a bit warm too soon on this one. Cooled it back down and will slowly bring the temp up as the fermentation slows down now

For me its rather peaceful strain, always take a while to ferment and its not too big on the krausen, anyway for the future i would avoid harvesting yeast from the 2ndary, you definitively selecting for less flocculant yeast, this can be also reason for aggressive fermentation (more yeast in suspension ferment more aggressively)

I've heard people go either way some say harvest from primary some say secondary.. i didn't have the time to wash yeast etc from primary this time so I thought i would give the secondary yeast a crack at another batch this go round and they are doing a fine job so far. I'm not super worried about how well they flocculate I probably won't reuse this yeast again and a cold crash always seems to put them babies to sleep and clear the beer right up.

I used 3787 for the first time a couple weeks ago and this has been the most aggressive yeast I've brewed with to date! It was a little slow to start but once it got going it went and then kept building steam. It has been sitting in our guest bathroom at 72 degrees ambient temp. There was a relentless lava like flow of yeast sludge oozing out the top of my airlock 48 hours after pitching that continued for a day and a half. It's been sitting at that temp for 10 days now and is still bubbling about once a minute! It's easy to tell which bucket is my Belgian air because it has a dried yellow yeast cake on one side of it. Looks like the yeasties partied themselves out too hard! :cross:

Latest posts

Back