Wyeast 3711 + WLP644

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

shorestyle

Reaction score
I recently added 644 to a beer I've done numerous times before where I've just used 3711. Usually after 1 week in the primary with just the 3711 it's finished at 1.001 consistently every time. I'm at the 1 week mark into fermenting this batch with the 644 added and took a sample at 1.004. Did not make a starter for either yeast and the wort I was pitching into was 1.053. Ferm temps ranged from 68-72 for the week.

Was just wondering if anyone has had experience blending the 644 with other yeasts or just experience with the yeast itself. I know the 3711 is an absolute beast but just curious if blending it with the 644 would affect the attenuation overall. Any input is appreciated.

Regardless, I'm gonna let it sit for another week and take another gravity reading and go from there.

One of the beers I'm drinking right now is a 50-50 blend of 3711 and 644. I pitched a starter of 644 along with a smack pack of 3711 all right at the start. The overwhelming flavor came from the 3711, but there are complexities that I think are coming from the 644 and are showing up more the older it gets. I'm sorry I'm not very good at describing flavor nuances. It finished very dry, something like 1.001 from an OG of 1.065 if I recall.

It should still take it down a bit. But Ive read in multiple places that you dont necessarily need a high FG for brett to chew on to get that brett character. youll be fine. Be sure to give it a while to ferment out entirely though. brett works very slow when it is used in a mixed fermentation

Cheers thanks guys! I'll take another gravity reading this weekend and let it go another week if it's not at 1.001. The sample I tasted all I could taste was 3711 so I'm gonna let the Brett go for another few weeks

Did you make a starter for the brett? If not it could take months to start developing character. White labs gives you next to nothing in their bug vials

I agree with the above comment. When I did mine I made a multi stage starter until I had roughly the same cell count as a pack of 3711. I still didn't get a ton of brett character compared to the saison yeast, but definitely some. I consider that beer a big success for my brewing.

Back