Wyeast 3068 vs. wlp 300

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikeyg42880

Reaction score
So I'm still fairly new to brewing, I do all grain batches and this weekend I brewed my first 10 gallon batch. I chose to do a ten gallon batch for two reasons, one being that it's not much longer time wise than a five gallon batch and I wanted to split the batch and pitch two different yeasts and see what the results are. I brewed a Dunkleweizen and pitched Wyeast 3068 (weihenstaphaner yeast) and White Labs 300 (Hefeweizen ale yeast). I generally use white labs yeasts because it's more easily available at the home brew shops around me. This is the second batch I've ever done with Wyeast. It's been around 24 hours since I pitched the yeasts. Tons if activity in the WLP ( even more than used too, I had to change the blow off tube once). The Wyeast is slowly building up pressure but still not bubbling just yet. Has anyone tried this before? How were you results? My OG was 1.056 which is right around what I was shooting for and there fermenting right around 68-70 degrees, I'm going to try and keep it in that range, hopefully closer to 68, from what I've read, the higher temp the more banana flavor will come out of these yeast. Anyhow, would love feedback if anyone has more info. I'll keep you updated on my results as much as I can. Cheers!

I've used both yeasts fairly recently - although not in a side by side comparison. This was for a pretty big Hefeweizen. With good starters, both took off pretty quickly. In particular I recall the 3068 really needing alot of fermentor headspace. Quite vigorous at 66-68 degrees. And yes, even at those temps, a good amount of banana although more at higher temps.

Have fun with it!
-Ellis

Back