Wyeast 2124 anyone get crazy diacetyl smells off it when making a starter?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cshulha

Reaction score
Getting a very strong Diacetyl smell from my wyeast 2124 starter. Anyone get this with that yeast.

Pretty common for that stain, especially true at warmer fermentation temps. I'm assuming your starter is at room temp so that could be your cause.

I'd ferment it at the lower end of the temp range 50-57 and perform a D-rest 65-68 when your 2-5 gravity points away from FG. That should clear it up nicely for you.

https://www.whitelabs.com/sites/default/files/Diacetyl_Time_Line.pdf

It's a starter! Yeast clean up the precursors for diacetyl if you give them the time and proper conditions to do so. Don't sweat it, your batch will be fine.

It's a starter! Yeast clean up the precursors for diacetyl if you give them the time and proper conditions to do so. Don't sweat it, your batch will be fine.

I noticed my yeast starter had a vinegry smell or taste. Is that normal has anyone had this before.

Starter wort will not be indicative of the finished beer. It's not going to taste good, which is why people decant the spent wort off the yeast cake.

Vinegar is another thing though. It's indicative of acetobacter in finished beer. Fruit flies are a common culprit. How did you cover the starter? Do you see any fruit flies in the starter? How's your sanitation regime?

Sanitation for starters is much more important than for fermentation as your creating an environment for growth.

I'm not saying you have an infection. Just tossing out a few things to consider.

I really don't taste my staters as they taste like crap.

Vinegar in a starter would be a cause of concern for me. I wouldn't use it. Also, I've personally never gotten diacetyl from 2124 and it's the only lager strain I've been using for the past year and a half.

Latest posts

Back