wyeast 2007 St Louis Lager

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nablis

Reaction score
I have a german pilsner fermenting now with this yeast. Did a 2 gallon starter at room temp for 5 days then chilled and decanted.

11lbs pils
2oz spalt select 75min
.5oz spalt 15
.5oz spalt 1

mash 148
Pitched at 50 fermenting at 50

Anyone have experience with this yeast? I picked it because it was fresher than some other pils yeast but didn't realize it was budweiser yeast until I got home and checked. :cross:

wyeast 2007 1.jpg

Just made a dortmunder export and washed wy2007 to pitch into it.
When washing the yeast seems to drop before the trub, white layer on bottom and brown on top. First time I seen this and first time washing lager yeast.

Pils finished at 1.006 had slight acetaldehyde. Just kegged and it is now lagering.

Now here's a thread that piques my interest: OP pitched an appropriate starter and has real feedback. Please keep us updated. That looks like a really super healthy lager fermentation to me.

Oh, and there's absolutely nothing wrong with Budweiser yeast unless you really hate clean fermentation and predictable results :p

Dortmunder Export
mashed 152
10lbs 10oz rahr pils
2lbs 4oz franco belges dark munich 10L

hallertau mittlefreugh
60mins 1.7oz
5 mins .5oz
0 mins .5oz

36ibu rager
og 1.055 fg 1.010
6%
srm 6

mashed 152 single infusion
11/9 6pm pitched 1cup 235g wy2007 harvested same day
pitched 44 rise to 50 over 3 days
11/10 3pm co2 coming out and krausen on top
11/14 1.025 still has small krausen, has receded a little
11/17 1.015 raised to 69 in water bath for 24 hours then cooled to 33
11/23 kegged fg 1.010

The pils is pretty clean, no acetaldehyde. Its not brilliantly clear yet, might have to do a protein rest with the rahr pils.
Will have to drink some more to nail down the yeast flavor, but I think I like czech saaz better than spalt.

at about 2 weeks of lagering The dortmunder had a yeast aroma , it is at 3 weeks now and that has faded its is finally pretty clear and tastes good. Clean yeast profile, nice malt and hop balance. Previously it wasn't as clean and I didn't like it, but it just took the proper lagering time and now it is good. I would recommend this yeast for clean lagers. Im sure longer lagering will improve it more.

I will bottle it to save and free up the keg.
IMAG0159_zpsadd7cfee.jpg

I am currently drinking an RJS kit made with this yeast (2007 Pilsen Lager); my first time using it. I think it would be a good yeast for something fairly hoppy. I'm not sure it works as well in this beer as the S-189 I used last time. On the other hand, the beer is still pretty young.

Had my first experience with WY 2000 recently. So far I really like it, but it will take a few batches to decide for sure.

Back