Wyeast 1968 London ESB

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYShooterGuy

Reaction score
Wasted $7

Not to mention the time and the DME to make a stater.

I prepped the blister pack as per instructions, waited the 3 hours, made a 1 liter starter and pitched the contents into the starter.

I didn't give it much thought when the thin brown liquid with spoiled milk-like solids poured out. I just figured "Wyeast is a big company that must know what they're doing"

For some reason, I felt the need to inspect the pack from where it tossed it in the kitchen trash. Under coffee grounds, egg shells, some dog poo, I found the packet and looked inside.

Having only used a swell pack maybe 3 other times, I never really dissected one to understand how they work. This one had a 2 cell compartment that had a beige colored creamy substance that felt like cooked eggs between my fingers.

Then I realized that the material I was rubbing between my fingers was the yeast. Barely any made it into my starter!

What a waste of money, time and effort. I hope I can get a refund, or at least a replacement. Nothing is going to help with the week delay of making a new beer however.

Hang on - I bet there's plenty of yeast in the starter. Wait and see if it takes off. Did you shake the smack pack up? If so, i bet it's fine.

1968/002 is a heavy flocculator. Last time I used a fresh pack of 002, getting the yeast out was like squeezing a toothpaste tube. Anyway, I bet you're fine.

I have had nothing but great luck with 1968. It has always ripped through fermentation and then falls out of solution like a rock. It can be a little tricky to work with though because of the extreme flocculation. You really have to shake the heck out of the smack pack to get all the yeast into suspension of slurry before pitching, otherwise your exact scenario can happen. I do not see any refund warranted in this situation - this is the exact nature of this particular yeast strain.

The clumpy "spoiled milk solids" was most of the yeast. So long as you made a starter, youll be fine. Good luck with your refund

I wouldn't use anything that has been in my trash. I meant I make another starter from what will be produced from what little yeast made it from the swell pack before it ended in the trash.

With the starter it should grow fine.
Now 1 liter starter is really NOT enough for a 5 gallon pitch. 1.6-2 liters is more in line.

After smacking/breaking the pouch I always shake it up thoroughly.

Then shake well again after the 2-3 hours of "proofing" before snipping the corner and pouring the content into the starter flask. I always pour some starter wort into the smack pack (using a medium size funnel), and give it another good shake. That goes into the starter flask too. I then top off to the required volume.

My biggest issue with Wyeast is how hard it is to get all the yeast out of the pouch. I no longer pop the nutrient pack because it seemed like a lot of yeast would work its way into it and not come out into the wort. But I'm always very sure to shake the pack vigorously and flex all the corners to work out the yeast.

Not sure what the basis for a refund would be? Does Wyeast cover user error?

Doubt they would cover a replacement pack. After I smack those I shake them numerous times, and try to only pitch after the thing has swollen to capacity. Then I have a good idea I am dealing with viable yeast. Some packs can be old, or exposed to heat or cold and not be as viable.

BTW, 1968 is my favorite yeast. I love it in my Fuller's ESB clone all the way to my Zombie Dust and Gumballhead clones. I always keep it on hand.

I was able to get a replacement. I wish I had prepared better.

The starter was made with 105 grams DME last night (about 20 hours prior) and I can see a large population of thick focculant yeast spinning around.

I jarred about 50ml of yeast. I can make another starter with this population and have enough left over to save for another stater for the next time.

Second starter made yesterday afternoon with 900 ml and 105g of DME.

Going to decant the beer off from that starter today and make a 3rd with 2000ml and 210g DME. this will give me the 405 billion cells I need as well as the 100+ billion cells to save for the next starter and recipe.

So... you want a refund because you self-admittedly fugded up and didn't use the pack correctly... then you want to use the leftovers you picked out of the garbage for a second batch, which will almost guaranteed be infected... so you'll be able to again claim a refund?

If this is accurate, you're the reason we can't have nice things.

I was always under the impression the yeast slurry was inside the main packet, and it was just the activator ingredients that were in the bubbles? If that's not the case, it probably should be. I thought the smacking /mixing to swell the pack was just an indicator of yeast viability. I didn't think you HAD to smack it to use the yeast?

So... you want a refund because you self-admittedly fugded up and didn't use the pack correctly... then you want to use the leftovers you picked out of the garbage for a second batch, which will almost guaranteed be infected... so you'll be able to again claim a refund?

If this is accurate, you're the reason we can't have nice things.

Nope. Read the whole thread. You might be surprised at what you find

I was always under the impression the yeast slurry was inside the main packet, and it was just the activator ingredients that were in the bubbles? If that's not the case, it probably should be. I thought the smacking /mixing to swell the pack was just an indicator of yeast viability. I didn't think you HAD to smack it to use the yeast?

Yes this is true. I often don't even bother smacking the pack if I am going to make a starter.

From the WYEAST FAQ page.

2. Is the yeast in the small inner packet or in the foil pouch itself?

The yeast is in the main foil pouch. The small inner packet contains the sterile nutrient and wort that feeds the yeast before it is added to your fermenter. First, the package and the nutrient packet are sterilized (autoclaved) then the yeast is added and the package is sealed.
Back to top >>

3. Can I use an Activator package without activating it and waiting for it to swell? ?

Yes. An Activator pack has enough yeast in it to pitch 5 gallons whether it is activated or not. There will only be a slightly longer lag time if the package is not activated before use. In any case, the nutrient pack should be popped before using because it contains valuable nutrients. Typically, the Activator can be activated when you start your brew and will be swollen by the time your wort is cool
Back to top >>

Latest posts

Back