Wyeast 1388 Belgian Strong

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mdweil

Reaction score
I brewed a farmhouse ale with this yeast and when I opened the primary fermenter after two weeks there was chunky "stuff" floating on the top. The gravity dropped from 1.082 to 1.016, which is good, but I am wondering if the stuff floating on top is normal?

Now that it is in the carboy I can see some white patches floating on top. Also, the top 1-2 inches look darker than the rest.

Is all of this normal?

Thanks!

post a picture of the chunky stuff, it could one of several things... most of them normal. chances are it's yeast rafts (floating yeast chunks).

Now that it is in the carboy I can see some white patches floating on top. Also, the top 1-2 inches look darker than the rest.
normal. that's the beer clarifying. the yeast, which is white, make a beer look lighter. as they yeast drop out, the beer darkens because there is no white yeast to reflect light off of.

this is the only picture that turned out

DSC03812.jpg

I have seen that before. It is not the yeast but the grain you used. I did a batch with some Czech Pils that formed stuf that looked just like that. No worries.

That's protein clumping from insufficient cold break separation prior to transfer from boil kettle to fermenter.
ha! and people are all "don't worry about leaving the break behind in the kettle, just transfer everything to the fermenter." yeah, well, this is what happens when you do. i don't know for certain if it causes bad flavors but it certainly can't be adding anything good. leave that sh*t behind.

Back