Wyeast 1388 belgian strong ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TimelessCynic

Reaction score
Does anyone use this yeast? I have a 1.070 OG batch that has been fermenting consistently for around 8 days now at 69 F. Pitched yeast 10
Days ago.

I have never seen an ale yeast behave like this. It reminds me more of a lager yeast with its slow to start and steady bubbling.

I use it for all my Belgians and I have noticed that it will stall in the low 1.02xxx area and I rouse it and raise the temp and it ferments out.
I've had a 1.088 Tripel stop at 1.026 and after rousing and raising the temp it finished at 1.008.
Food for thought.

Belgian ales typically ferment in the mid-70s, just ramp up the temperature and it should be fine. If you're worried about off-flavors, remind yourself that they are typical of most Belgian beers. ;)

How'd this one turn out. I've got some 1388 and thinking about using it for a Belgian Quad this weekend.

I forgot this thread. Anyhow. I hate the yeast. It performs well but it produces what I perceive to be a metallic taste.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I forgot this thread. Anyhow. I hate the yeast. It performs well but it produces what I perceive to be a metallic taste.

Huh, strange. I'm growing to like this stuff. I've only used it a few times now, but it performs reliably and isn't as phenolic as many other Trappist yeasts. It gives good character, even in darker worts.

If you want to see what kind of stuff this can turn out in a dark wort, try something from the Maredsous line (the 8, e.g.).

Perhaps I am being too hard in my assessment of this yeast. People at my beer party liked the beer i made with it. Just not my flavour of the month. Its a completely different style but I love kolsch 2565 yeast. I tapped a low alcohol beer 4% i made with it and it tastes so f'in good. AND it's only two weeks old. Grain to glass.

Single decoction mash 156 F
Mostly two row
A little caramel 40 and carapils
15 ibu tettnanger

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Back